Monday, July 20, 2009

Trying to Stay Strong

Hi everyone. My goodness, it has been the absolute worse day of my life. But before we go any further, I should let you know that I hope that it remains the worse day of my life.

We arrived this morning at 5:15, checked in and were in the surgery prep area for about an hour or so. Lena was in a pretty good mood considering she was taken out of bed at 4:45. She told me she would do the huggie wrap (blood pressure check) and thing under her tongue (temperature) but then she wanted to go home. She also said Dr. Demonte could look in her head but she didn't want him taking anything out. He wasn't allowed. He could only look.

Man, oh man. She was so brave. She hopped up on the table and just sweetly said goodbye as they wheeled her away to the operating room. They said she did great and wish all patients were like her with her attitude. :)

Surgery began about 8:20 a.m. and we were told to expect approx. 8 hours. We would get updates but not much detail until the end. So we were surprised when a nurse came out and said the doctor was on his way around 1:45.

Dr. Demonte was able to get most of the tumor. However, the tumor had wrapped itself up and around Lena's third nerve and there was not any way to save it. He had to sever the nerve. What this means is that although Lena still has vision in this eye, she has lost all functions relating to this particular nerve which include the dialation of the pupil, movement of the eye and the ability to open her eyelid.

Right now Lena is sleeping. We found out the she is allergic to morphine so the Benadryl given to her has kept her sleepy. Her left eye is closed and beginning to swell. It will continue swelling for the next few days. She has woken up for brief moments and is fairly lucid. She has told me her booboo hurts, that she needs to potty and that she loves me. Hearing her say "I love you Mommy" was probably the only thing that kept me from complete nervous breakdown today.

I know my writing isn't nearly as coherent right now. I just don't know how to describe what we are feeling. I hurt for her, I worry for her and I love her so much that I would give anything and everything to make this not be happening. I don't want to tell her that her eye won't open again. I just don't. I know Britt is already researching this condition and won't even consider that it is permanent but for now and for the foreseeable future, it is. I don't want to face the moment when she realizes that her hair has been cut and shaved. I don't want to be the one who looks in her face when she realizes she has a cut across her forehead from ear to ear. I don't want to see any more pain or fear in my little girl's eyes. But I will. I will hold her hand through each of these events and make sure she knows that she is a beautiful angel. I will hold her when she cries. I will kiss her nose and hug her tight when she is scared. I will tell her everything that she needs to hear and begin to build the confidence in her that at one point my parents had to build in me.

Then I'll go in the next room and cry.

You can't help but walk through the halls of this hospital and not be grateful. There are a multitude of things that we could have found out today that would have been devastating and beyond conmprehension. We're thankful for the good news. The tumor is probably benign and they got most of it all. We will cry for the bad news, take a deep breath and start from this moment to keep going strong.

So, if you hear sobs in my voice either via writing or on the phone, understand that I'm crying when I can so that I can stay strong when it is needed.

We love you and thank you again for your loving thoughts, prayers, messages and support. Talk to you soon.

Love, Holland

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now, but know that we all thought about you all day long. We had a prayer circle for you and Lena this morning - hope you felt the positive thoughts. Lena is blessed to have a mom like you and I hope she does see what a princess she really is. What a brave little girl!... and what a brave mom!

    Love - Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know what to say, but please know that I'm thinking of you and Lena and you are in my prayers. Your girls are SO lucky to have you as their mommy.
    Love, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you need a shoulder -- I'm here for you! You are so brave and Lena is so blessed to have you on her side --

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about all of you HUNDREDS of times today, Holland... imagining how difficult it must have been when they wheeled Lena into surgery... imagining how you passed the time while she was in surgery... saying prayers for Lena and the surgical crew and for you and your family... and shedding some tears myself! I hope and pray that Lena is kept as pain free as possible as she recuperates... and that you allow yourself every emotion and fear. You are entitled! Love you LOTS!!! Rozanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holland, you and Lena have been on my
    mind all day long. My heart aches for you as I read your post. I am amazed by the strength and courage that you and Lena
    have both shown. I pray that the worst is over and that the
    tumor is not cancerous. Please let me know if there is anything you
    need. There is so much prayer around you that I think that God is overwhelmed by all of us. I pray that He continues to give both you and Lena strength. May you feel all of the love around you and your precious daughter. With lots of love and prayer, Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life's punches hit hard-
    seek comfort and peace from God-
    question, cry, give thanks.

    ReplyDelete